Friday, January 20, 2012

Our Life Is But A Vapor

 
     It hit me, that reality check ton of bricks. I finally for the first time in a long time stopped and thought about how short my life really is. I was reminded of a little boy, Bryce who went to our church, so full of life, always smiling like he hadn't a care in the world...but he did. He had cancer. It always amazed me how we can go through life and take for granted all the little things that we can do like, brushing our teeth, eating Frosted Flakes, walking out to get the mail. Those are things we hardly ever think twice about, but so often we are blessed to even have the ability to grasp a toothbrush, or eat food without using a feeding tube, even the ability to walk. So I am thankful...thankful and content with the abilities and gifts God has given me...ashamed because I do not use my talents to their full potential, and rebuked because I am to proud to be humble, contrite, and broken. As I look back on Bryce's example, and that of his family's, some things really stood out to me. His parent's willingness to accept and submit to His will, whatever that was to be. They never were angry at their God, for allowing their precious son to have cancer, they never mocked or scorned their Heavenly Father because of bitterness or animosity. They meekly and humbly knelt before their Father and praised the God who gives...and takes away. Romans 8:28 says, 'And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.' All things do work out for good, though we may go through trials there is a purpose and plan, even though we may not know that plan...God is all-knowing and His Will is perfect and just in all it's ways.
     Bryce went to meet His Heavenly Father last year,  June 21, 2011. And oh how I envy him, to see our Heavenly Father face to face! Praising and glorifying the Creator of all, Healer to the sick, All-Powerful, All-Knowing, Caring, Loving, Just, Mighty, Faithful, Trusting...my best friend, my confidant, my caring loving Father who always has the correct answer for everything, my God who sends me trials only to build me up stronger and to have more faith. And I am so thankful he is a jealous God...(you may think.."What???") yes, He is jealous. He is striving for our every moment, yearning for that time with just you and Him, He is hungering for a taste of total complete surrender of your life, He wants your every moments to be filled with His Light and guidance, He is knocking that special knock at the door into your heart and your life...and all you have to do is invite Him in. So don't waste your life on petty things, start living for the only thing that matters...to live, serve, and die for our God.
     And yes, Bryce is sorely missed, and though he did not leave behind a legacy as the world would say...he left behind an example, testimony, and light that will burn in the hearts of those he touched.


    'Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.' James 4:14

2 comments:

  1. It's so painfully eye-opening to how truly precious each second is. Thanks for this, Madeline.

    P.S. This post really reminded me of this song:

    "My times are in Thy hand;
    My God, I wish them there;
    My life, my friends, my soul I leave
    Entirely to Thy care.

    My times are in Thy hand;
    Whatever they may be;
    Pleasing or painful, dark or bright,
    As best may seem to Thee.

    My times are in Thy hand;
    Why should I doubt or fear?
    My Father’s hand will never cause
    His child a needless tear.

    My times are in Thy hand,
    Jesus, the crucified!
    Those hands my cruel sins had pierced
    Are now my guard and guide.

    My times are in Thy hand,
    Jesus, my Advocate:
    Nor shall Thine hand be stretched in vain,
    For me to supplicate.

    My times are in Thy hand,
    I’ll always trust in Thee;
    And, after death, at Thy right hand
    I shall forever be."

    -Camilla

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete